Thursday, October 21, 2010

Becoming a Gleek

At the risk of coming across a spoiler or two, I'd like to talk about my latest obsession- Glee.
See, I have this problem where I get into a tv show and watch it like it's a movie. This of course spawns from the fact that I am culturally deprived and watching the show on DVD or online, not as it debuts like the rest of America. Also for this reason, I am currently two episodes from finishing season one, where every other Gleek is in the middle of season 3. It doesn't bother me though, except when I come across a spoiler or two.
The show is just so catchy. Well, I take that back. It wasn't at first. The first episode of Glee that I ever watched was highly publicized "Britney/Britney" episode. I just had to see what all the fuss was about.
After the thirty second run-down of "and that's what you missed on !GLEE!" I was sufficiently confused. Aren't those openings designed to get new people into the series? It definitely missed that target audience entirely. I watched the episode, but didn't like the filming style and couldn't get into the plot. Because I was so curious why this show was getting so much damn publicity, I found the first season and began to watch.
After the first episode, I was hooked. How could I not be, when I find out that the climatic ending performance was that amazing new rendition of Don't Stop Belivin' that played all the time on the radio at work? I'd had no idea that that song was from Glee. While I was watching it I got chills. So many of their songs are amazing remakes that I am going to get the complete season one CD.
Now that I'm into the series, I have to say, I'm addicted. I'm a Gleek. And yet, I'm scared to catch up to the rest of the world. I can't imagine hitting the end of a particularly suspenseful episode and having to wait an entire week for the next.
I've never had to do that. All of my obsessive show-watching has happened after the series has ended. Gilmore Girls, Wildfire, Beautiful People, Charmed. All of these I watched once they were already over. And I feel the need to watch and re-watch like they're just really long movies (a tendency that very few people understand).
Maybe that's just me trying to make up for not seeing them with the rest of the world while they were in their glory days. Then again, maybe it's just the side effect of being culturally deprived.

No comments:

Post a Comment